- £60m Quarry Hill campus to provide inspiring new learning environment for students and staff
- New CGIs show state-of-the-art Creative Arts and Social Science facilities
- Campus to open to students in September 2019
Leeds City College has unveiled brand new CGIs showing the purpose-built interior of its new £60m Quarry Hill Campus in Leeds City Centre.
Opening its doors in September 2019, the new campus will house two of the college’s biggest schools; the School of Creative Arts and the School of Social Science.
Situated in the city’s cultural quarter, with modern, state-of-the-art classrooms, independent learning spaces, social areas and incredible views over the city, the provisions will help fulfil the college’s pledge to ‘create inspiring learning spaces’.
The innovative new development will house 3,000 students upon completion, with up to 2,000 students there at any one time. The newly released CGIs show the bespoke and high spec design of the campus’ new interior facilities:
- The first image shows one of the replica practical care suites which will give students studying health science and social care a realistic experience of their future working environment. By 2022, the healthcare, social care and childcare sectors will account for 145,625 jobs across the region, 6% more than in 2016, and therefore these facilities will be crucial in training the healthcare professionals of the future.
- The second image showcases the first floor communal area and gallery space which will allow Creative Arts students to put on public exhibitions and gain valuable experience of curating art displays and will also host exhibitions from up and coming artists. Students will be right at the heart of Leeds’ creative community, surrounded by leading institutions such as Leeds Playhouse, Leeds College of Music (which is also part of the Luminate Education Group) and Northern Ballet, all of whom the college works with closely.
- The third image illustrates the 200-seat theatre complete with backstage technical equipment, supported by the accompanying recording and film studios, dance studios, costume workshop, newsroom and gallery spaces. The Creative Arts students will benefit from the latest technology and facilities.
Designed by Ellis Williams Architects, the development is located on Eastgate and is being built by Wates Construction North East & Yorkshire. The project has received £33.4 million funding from the Leeds City Region Enterprise Partnership (LEP), delivered by the West Yorkshire Combined Authority, through the Leeds City Region Growth Deal – a £1 billion package of government investment to accelerate growth and create jobs across Leeds City Region.
Suzanne Gallagher, who will be the Campus Manager at the Quarry Hill Campus upon opening, said:
“We’re delighted to show off these fantastic new images, revealing what’s in-store for students come September. The facilities situated within the Schools of Creative Arts and Social Science have been specifically designed with each of the individual schools in mind and aim to depict authentic surroundings similar to those students would encounter in the world of work.
“The Quarry Hill Campus will also provide additional facilities and space for Leeds College of Music, which is based nearby and an integral part of the Luminate Education Group.
“We are extremely passionate about providing a first-class educational experience for our students and this new facility demonstrates our commitment to offering students an innovative learning environment where they can develop and excel.”
Over the next few months, the building will be fully fitted out and a phased move-in is planned for over summer, from the current Park Lane and Technology campuses. Quarry Hill will be the college’s second major new city centre site, after its Printworks Campus opened in 2013.
The Quarry Hill Campus represents a significant milestone in the history of the college and brings together purpose-built facilities and high standards of environmental performance. Over the next few months, the building will be fully fitted out with state-of-the-art equipment, with a phased move-in planned for summer 2019, from the current Park Lane and Technology campuses.
For further information visit www.leedscitycollege.ac.uk